Introduction of the Memorial
The Protectorate so-called Gypsy camp was opened in Hodonín u Kunštátu on August 2, 1942.
The so-called Gypsy camp in Hodonín u Kunštátu was established on the site of the former punitive labor camp and collection camp.
The Hodonín camp had a capacity of 300 people in summer and 200 in winter. However, already during August 1942, police patrols escorted more than 1,000 mostly Roma families, including women, children and the elderly.
In the winter of 1942/1943, an epidemic of spotted and abdominal typhoid broke out in the camp, which resulted in quarantine.
According to available sources, there were 1 396 men, women and children, mostly Roma from Moravia interned in the so-called Gypsy camp in Hodonín u Kunštátu during its existence (August 2, 1942 – September 30, 1943).
- The Protectorate so-called Gypsy camp was opened on August 2, 1942.
- The so-called Gypsy camp was established on the site of the punitive camp (opened on August 10) and collection camp (from January 1, 1942).
- Elderly German people not fit for the removal were interned in the camp. Out of these 80 did not survive the camp internment.
- A forced labor camp for the opponents of the communist regime operated here in 1949 and 1950.
- The first public reverent gathering takes place at the site of mass graves in Žalov on March 18, 1973.
- Museum of Romani Culture takes over the site of the memorial at the beginning of 2018.